Thursday, February 23, 2012

Dogtooth




Dogtooth
(2009) [Trailer]
Director: Giorgos Lanthimos (IMDB)

I'm half Greek. I went to Greece a few years ago for my honeymoon. I love Greek salads. But until last night, I had never watched a Greek film. I was curious to see this movie, as it has a lot of hype behind it, let's see if Public Enemy is right.

The story of Dogtooth centers around one family. The father has strict control over his wife and three kids, so much so that the children have never even left the grounds of their home estate. They are completely removed from everything in the outside world. As time passes they start to grow curious of what's behind the walls surrounding them.

This movie is definitely a weird one. I didn't outright hate this film, but I didn't love it either. It's very easy to say this is artsy, and I would think it'd be fitting to do so, but just because you're an art house film doesn't mean you get a pass. This movie lacked in a lot of places. Before watching it, I knew nothing about the plot and it's extremely slow to start, I'd say it's about 45 mins into the movie before you finally start to understand what's going on. Before that, I was basically like "What the fuck is the point of all of this?" I do give it props though, because as confused as I was, I was still interested in what was going on. The acting is a little over done, and didn't seem natural at times. I did like some of the cinematography and the idea of the film is cool, I just think it was poorly executed. Form your own opinion, it's available on Netflix instant and you can watch it HERE.

1 comment: