Saturday, April 12, 2014

Nymphomaniac Part I & II


Nymphomaniac Part I & II 
(2014)
Director: Lars von Trier [IMDB]

Everyone likes sex right? At least most people do. So why is there this weird stigma involved with it? Especially with people who bang too much. From the looks of it, Nymphomaniac promised to focus on this issue and knowing Lars von Trier's prior work, I had a feeling it would get pretty uncomfortable, pretty quickly for most people... but not me, cause I'm a freak (just kidding mom.)

Synopsis: A sex addict named Joe (Charlotte Gainsbourg) recounts her past adventures with a new found friend (Stellan Skarsgard.)

Nymphomaniac was about what I thought it'd be. I don't know if that's good or bad. The first half is absolutely the strongest and going into part two I was hoping that momentum would continue. But it slows a little and the ending was kind of weak. My wife said the ending ruined it for her, but who cares, this is my review. I don't think I would go as far as to say it ruins it, but I do think it didn't need to be there. I found that Joe's story began to lose me after she starts her new job. I don't want to spoil anything, but Joe ends up getting an apprentice and I found all of that storyline to be a tad boring.

One thing that really annoyed me was the constant shifting of aspect ratio throughout the film. It was random and pointless. Outside of that one criticism, I thought the overall construction of the film (editing, cinematography and score) was great.

This is a film that you wouldn't want to watch with your parents, but it's fine for what it is. However out of all the Lars von Trier films I've seen, I think it's my least favorite.




ALSO: Here's the rest of his filmography that I've seen, ranked!


1. Europa
2. Dogville
3. Manderlay
4. Anti-Christ
5. Dancer in the Dark
6. Melancholia
7. Nyphomaniac


Obviously, I haven't seen them all, if you think there's a film I should pop on, lemme know!


No comments:

Post a Comment