Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Hustler


The Hustler
(1961) [Trailer]
Director: Robert Rossen (IMDB)

This is a classic that I recently picked up on the cheap and decided to throw in the old blu-ray player the other night. It was my first time with this film and I was absolutely impressed. Why you ask? Please continue reading.

Synopsis: Fast Eddie (Paul Newman) is a pool shark. Minnesota Fats (Jackie Gleason) is also a pool shark. They do battle together while Fast Eddie deals with falling in love.

This movie rules and had me locked in within a few minutes. Paul Newman is one cool bastard, but Jackie Gleason and George C Scott did an exceptional job at stealing some of his thunder. Fast Eddie was also a really interesting character in that he's this master pool player but still feels like a loser and is unsure of himself. I felt him to be relatable and genuine. The story takes a huge turn and ends way off base from where I thought it would, it was interesting and seemed very atypical for the time it was made.

If you can find time in your busy little world, I'd recommend you sit down, relax, and check this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment