Wednesday, September 5, 2012

30 Days of Night


30 Days of Night
(2007) [Trailer]
Director: David Slade (IMDB)

During my youth, my parents moved around a lot. They were part of a circus... that is, if you consider the Navy a circus. My dad was stationed all over the place and one stop had us in Iceland. I was a little too young to remember it but I heard stories of how it'd be dark all day during the winter. Last summer I actually got to go stay with some friends in Iceland and I felt the opposite end the scale, it was day light until 4 in the morning. I always thought living in a place with extreme days and nights would be cool. That is until I saw this fucking thing.

Synopsis: A group of vampires take a vacation to the town of Barrow, Alaska where it stays dark for a month.

This is my second time viewing this, but my first time on blu-ray disc (I picked it up for a mere $4.99), and I feel about the same as I did before. I think it's a fun horror film, but nowhere near perfect.

The strength in this film lays in it's location and theme. It all about people being trapped and an evil force trying to kill them off one by one, which in my opinion is the best mock up for a horror movie and when done right (The Thing) can lead to great results. 30 Days executes this motif fairly well and setting it in a snowy/remote area reminds me a lot of another film (The Thing.) Josh Hartnett was actually pretty good and the rest of the cast were serviceable. The gore and blood, which are obviously essential, are at an 8 out of 10 for me.

The weakness of 30 Days would be some of the decisions made by Slade, especially adding in unnecessary characters. The first guy wandering through the snow was pointless to the film. Also bringing back the other sheriff and the random little girl at the end was weird. Speaking of little girls, the baby vampire and her lines were ridiculous.

Even with all it's flaws, I still enjoy this movie a lot. I'd recommend it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment