Monday, December 17, 2012

Beyond the Black Rainbow


Beyond the Black Rainbow
(2010) [Trailer]
Director: Panos Cosmatos [IMDB]

I watched the trailer for this title earlier in the year and thought it looked extremely interesting. After seeing some good and bad buzz about it, I noticed it popped up in Netflix on demand... so here you go.

Synopsis: A young psychic girl escapes being held captive by a crazed doctor in a secretive commune.

Beyond the Black Rainbow has its ups and downs, I'm going to address them both right now...

The ups: It's a visual heavyweight and takes notes from cinematic masters like Kubrick, Jodorowski, and David Lynch. There are a couple of really mesmerizing scenes... I don't do the drugs, but If I did I would imagine it would blow your intoxicated mind. The score sounds like something right out of a John Carpenter flick, which helps bring the tone of this movie into an eerie place. I also got delivered some great practical effects/make up work that was a pleasant surprise.

I had read a few reviews claiming this film didn't have any kind of plot... I would disagree. I think the story takes a while to roll out and it's very sparse at times. Black Rainbow tells it's tale more through pictures and sound, than through tons of dialogue. I can see that being a turn off for some, but at the end of it you get the general idea of what transpired.

The downs: The film is shot digitally and you can tell in a lot of places when it gets overly grainy. The worst thing is the ending, it was a bit of a wet noodle. I think they could have wrapped it up in a more satisfying way, I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just leave it at that.

If you're into films like Altered States, 2001, Eraserhead, Videodrome, or Suspiria... check it out... it definitely puts out that vibe.


No comments:

Post a Comment