Sunday, March 24, 2013

Spring Breakers


Spring Breakers
(2013) [Trailer]
Director: Harmony Korine [IMDB]

In a Williams Film Review first, I am bringing you not only a review of Harmony Korine's newest film Spring Breakers, but I am also providing you with some original artwork. Yes... that beautiful poster over there on the left was designed by yours truly... me... Curtis Williams.

Synopsis: 4 misguided teens set off to Florida for spring break and get into some shit.

I was highly anticipating the release of Spring Breakers. Harmony Korine's films are highly polarizing... I remember watching Gummo for the first time and thinking it was awful... but I also kind of liked it.

Spring Breakers is a bloated look at the fucked up society we live in. These are strange times and they call for an even stranger movie. I think Harmony likes to push your buttons and with this film he takes it over the top, but in an accessible way... as opposed to Trash Humpers. The characters are empty and shallow... I couldn't relate to anyone, but that worked for me. I think that's part of the message. I mean honestly... to think you're going to go to spring break in Florida and have a life changing experience is a joke in itself. Korine takes something nauseating (spring break in Florida) and plays with it in an artful way which I absolutely enjoyed.

Spring Breakers has a few really surprising moments, some funny, some raunchy.... mostly involving James Franco (who plays a very convincing shitbag.) It revisits some of the themes seen in Kids, but also had a quasi True Romance vibe to it. If you're familier with Harmony Korine's work, you'll probably dig it, but if you're easily offended I'd skip it.... but then... you should get over yourself and live a little... I'm just saying.


No comments:

Post a Comment