Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Lone Survivor


Lone Survivor
(2013) [Trailer]
Director: Peter Berg [IMDB]

Before watching Lone Survivor I read a bunch of negative reviews, basically stating it was America Ra Ra and pro-military. I had also heard a lot of positives from people on facebook, many of whom were military themselves. So I was interested in seeing how it would unfold. I like Peter Berg's films mostly (not including Battle Ship) and thought how bad could it be?

Synopsis: The retelling of a failed mission by US marines in Afghanistan and their fight to survive.

I don't get it. This film didn't feel like pro-war or pro-America at all. If anything, it's ultra violent and makes war look unfun. The haters of this film just think that way because it's a modern tale from Afghanistan... which for many is an unpopular war. But take this story... a unit trap behind enemy lines fighting to get out, and place it in WWII, and everyone would love it. No matter what your politics, war is ugly, and Berg captures that masterfully in Lone Survivor. Going in, I knew what would happen, most people do, but waiting for it all to transpire was nerve racking. When the battle ensues, I was locked in and inthralled.

Berg also succeeded with the score, cinematography, and cast. Marky Mark and Tim Riggins were impressive and it was good to see Emile Hirsh playing some what of a different role.

The action felt a little over the top and Holly Woodish at times, which surprised me, but ultimately it wasn't enough to even come close to ruining it for me.

Lone Survivor is in theaters now and I believe #1 at the box office as of last weekend. Shit... Berg is ballin hard.


1 comment:

  1. The movie left me numb when I saw it. Very dramatic and makes you realize how awful war (any war) really is.

    ReplyDelete