Friday, February 15, 2013

Q: The Winged Serpent


Q: The Winged Serpent
(1982) [Trailer]
Director: Larry Cohen [IMDB]

I'm starting to dig into the filmography of Larry Cohen. Last year I reviewed 'The Stuff' and it peaked my interest in Mr Cohen. I decided to check out his next most popular film and cult classic... Q.

Synopsis: It's like King Kong... only with a lizard bird and the dude from Law & Order.

I really liked Q, it has this weird 80's charm to it that makes me nostalgic. The serpent has surprisingly little screen time, which might be a good thing because the effects are pretty dated. What Q lacks in monsters, it makes up for in dialogue. Michael Moriarty's performance is so awkward, but in a great way. It's really something to behold, it's humorous at times, but then he'd belt out a scene that's really impactful. It was quite enjoyable. David Carradine and Richard Roundtree play two ridiculous cops and they're not too believable, but still fun to watch. There's also a nice amount of gore, which I appreciated.

Although the winged serpent may look a little cheesy, Cohen does a good job at working around it. When you're looking through the serpent's perceptive as it flies over the city rooftops, you get some of the best scenes in the movie.

Just like 'The Stuff', this film is an oddity, but one that's worth taking a look at. I'm definitely going to dig up some more Larry Cohen films.





No comments:

Post a Comment