Monday, April 1, 2013

Room 237


Room 237
(2012) [Trailer]
Director: Rodney Ascher [IMDB]

I consider The Shining one of the greatest horror films of all time. Not too long ago I reviewed it, which you can read HERE. The reason I actually decided to rewatch it in October was because I saw the trailer for this documentary and it peaked my interest. I finally got the chance to check it out... now I will pass along my knowledge to you... the reader... enjoy.

Synopsis: There are a lot of people out there who have a lot of theories behind the "real" meaning of The Shining... Room 237 explores those theories.

Room 237 is a compelling doc and for a fan of The Shining, it's interesting to see a lot of the hidden messages that people have picked up on. The one big problem for me was the "messages" or secret meanings don't really add up to anything significant. They are certainly entertaining, but open for extreme criticism. You know those conspiracy guys like Alex Jones... imagine that dude was a huge Kubrick fan and also went to film school, those are the kind of people you have in Room 236. Don't get me wrong, it's fascinating, I just don't think most of it holds any weight.

One other problem I have with this documentary is its construction. It feels a bit cheap and unprofessional. Almost like some dudes with iMovie got a bunch of Kubrick clips and threw this together.

There's a few really awesome moments in Room 237. I really dug the imagery they got when the film was ran backwards and forwards at the same time. I also enjoyed a lot of irregularities they found throughout the film.

If you're a fan of The Shining, I recommend this. It opened wide this week so you should be able to find it near by.


No comments:

Post a Comment