Friday, December 20, 2013

Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
(2013) [Trailer]
Director: Peter Jackson [IMDB]

The LOTR/Hobbit films will probably always score a 4 Arnold or higher as long as Peter Jackson is handling them and I will always go out to see them in the theater... why? Because they are awesome, that's why. At this point you're either on board or you are not, so really... it's like preaching to the choir doing this review. Jackson has crafted the art of Hobbit film making and I don't think you can win over anyone who's not already in agreement with me on that.

Synopsis: Bilbo and his posse continue their journey to the Lonely Mountain in order to reclaim Erebor from Smaug... the badass dragon.

This installment is a lot more energetic than An Unexpected Journey (click that link to read my review... do it.) and I found it to be more entertaining. The special effects, especially on Smaug and Sauron were fantastic, some of the best CG work I've ever seen. The action was innovative, including a fight that took place going down a river that was incredible and felt like nothing I'd seen before. Kate from LOST was a new addition to the roster and now I have an elf crush on her... but seriously she was great and perfectly cast. The Lake town of Esgaroth looked insane and to think of the time it must have taken to render that blows my mind.

The film ends on a cliff hanger and it just made me end up wanting more. I can't wait till next year... no... actually I can't wait till 2016, so I can own all of them and have a super Hobbit/LOTR mega marathon.




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curtis, I'm a massive fan of the LOTR films, but "An Unexpected Journey" was a steaming pile. Wildly departing from the source material simply to pad a wonderful story into three films when one, perhaps two, would have been great. There are extended fight scenes that seem interminable, while short shrift is given to the most suspenseful and vital part of the story, "Riddles in the Dark." As much as I'd like to see what Smaug looks like, the first entry soured me so much that I have no plans to see this one, unless I'm very bored and it's on cable. And given the weaker opening weekend for Desolation, I don't think I'm the only one who feels that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely disagree I'm afraid. I thought it awesome. I don't know, maybe it's me, but I feel like there's not enough time spent in that universe. After every film is done, I just end up wanting more. I actually look forward to the extended editions when they come to baby blu. So the fact that he split it into 3 films is incredible IMO. I loved the fight scenes in part one (and part two) especially the goblin fight, I think Jackson always shows extremely interesting a fresh ideas when it comes to that. In terms of leaving stuff out, or cutting things short, I don't see it... especially Riddles In the Dark. I thought that scene played out well and didn't seemed rushed at all? Sure, if he added more to it, I would have been fine, but I don't feel like it was ripped off of it's luster. The only thing the book did that the films do not, is spending A LOT of time describing things visually... which obviously the films don't need to do that.

      Again, I love the 3 film angle and I know you're not alone when I comes to your criticisms (I had a convo with a coworker yesterday about the same thing) I just don't see it I guess. I think it's hard for people to remove themselves from the source material... not me, I just take the film for what it is, and I rather enjoy them.

      Let's get up soon and hang in Sunnyside, get some foods, watch a flick. Hopefully I'll see you later at Kurt's later.

      Delete