Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
(2011) [Trailer]
Director: David Fincher (IMDB)

David Fincher gets the job done in my book. I've really enjoyed most of his films and was definitely happy to find out he was behind the American remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Why you ask? Because I can't stand watching movies with subtitles and I don't read good. I kid. I kid. I actually saw all the original Swedish films in the series, which were good. My one complaint was I felt they could have looked a little better. I haven't read the books...but apparently everyone else in NYC has based off the amount of people I've seen with a copies of them.

The story centers around a Journalist (Daniel Craig) who gets hired by a wealthy man (Christopher Plummer) to help uncover the mystery behind the death of his Niece, which happened over 40 years ago. Craig is left to fill in the pieces with very little info and only the help of Plummer's crazy ass family. He eventually starts to unravel the secrets of the disappearance, and soon is aided by an assistant...some chick with a sweet lizard tat. Lisbeth (Rooney Mara) is one goth you don't wanna cross. She's got tattoos, piercings and a bad attitude...but she also has a photographic memory and mad computer skills. Lisbeth and Daniel Craig eventually figure shit out and that's where I'll leave you. Go see for yourself.

This movie is great. Great source material, great acting and now great direction. Just great great great. Is that enough greats for you? Where as the Swedish film seemed a little lifeless, Fincher's rendition takes all that worked with those films and elevated it. The intro made my arm hairs stand up. The score was fantastic (NIN...totally!) The cinematography was beautiful, and really captivating. Rooney Mara was fantastic, and when compared to the original Lisbeth (who was the best of the original cast), held her own. I really have to say...this would have made my top ten, had I seen it last year. Definitely a pleaser.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with almost everything you have said here. This movie is in my top 10 of all time now. It was spectacular. Though, I didn't find the Swedish version of the trilogy lifeless at all. I liked
    them very much. But Fincher got it DONE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess lifeless wasn't a good adjective. I did say earlier, that I thought they were awesome, and they are. They were a little flat in terms of production. I would agree, I liked them a lot, and they help pave the way for this awesome flick.

      Delete
  2. I like that you quoted Michael Friedman RE: subtitled films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael Friedman would love this movie. The Swedish one....not so much.

      Delete
  3. Curtis, READ THE BOOKS!!!! Loved all 3, LOVED this movie!, and now, Thanks To You, I will find the Swedish films & Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete