Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Beauty Day



Beauty Day
(2011) [Trailer]
Director: Jay Cheel (IMDB)

O Canada, O Canada, the place of my birth. Besides myself, Canada is also known for producing Tim Horton's, great hockey players, and other awesome things. If you don't like our friendly neighbors to the north, chances are you're a douche. One thing that Canada has produced that you might not know about is Cap'n Video.

Beauty Day is a documenty about Ralph Zavadil, or as he's better known to native Ontarians, Cap'n Video. Cap'n Video was a outlandish 90's local cable celebrity known for performing crazy, low budget stunts à la MTV's Jackass, but well before them. You might recognize him from THIS! Beauty Day goes into the history of the Cap'n, the present and how his life has changed.

This is an excellent film and extremely well done, especially considering it's director Jay Cheel's first full length documentary. The subject matter is captivating and for not having known anything about Cap'n Video ahead of my initial viewing, I found myself really into his story. The direction and cinematography are reminiscent of Errol Morris or Werner Herzog, so if you're into them, chances are you'll love this. It's still a little hard to get a hold of it here in the states but check out the trailer and website HERE. You can also order it directly from HERE... or if you know me and are here in the city, I'll let you borrow it because I'm nice like that.

ALSO: Please take and moment and visit HOW TO BUILD A TIME MACHINE. It's Jay Cheel's new project and HotDocs is currently doing a kickstarter for funding. It's looks amazing so far, and worth your time. I've donated and you should do the same if you want to be cool like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment