Friday, March 9, 2012

We Need to Talk About Kevin



We Need to Talk About Kevin
(2011) [Trailer]
Director: Lynne Ramsay (IMDB)

I think I've mentioned this before in another review but... I hate children. If you're under the age of 16, chances are you're an asshole... oh you don't think so... just watch this movie and try to tell me otherwise.

Tilda Swinton is a reluctant mother raising a fucked up kid (Kevin) with her husband Dr Steve Brule. Since birth something is off between mother and son, and as time passes the problem becomes worse.

This movie is so solid and I can't really think of anything bad I can say about it. I love the cinematography a lot, some of the best I've seen all year. The soundtrack is pretty cool as well. Tilda Swinton does an amazing job displaying herself as a removed and frustrated mother. Did her desire to be young and live a different life lead to the way Kevin turned out? Is her kid just naturally screwed up? These are all questions left on the viewer and you're not too sure what's really going on until things start to unravel. I would have probably had this in my top ten had I seen it last year. It's a really entertaining film and I definitely recommend you pick it up. I believe it comes out on blu-ray/DVD/VOD this week or next.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't love it but I know most did. I found Tilda's performance to be strong but one-note. She had the blank look on her face for the entire film. Plus, the kid was so annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Doug, a lot of people complained about Kevin, he didn't bother me, although I could see why you could be annoyed by him. I disagree about Tilda though, I loved her in it.

      Delete