Monday, March 5, 2012

The Mod Squad



The Mod Squad
(1999) [Trailer]
Director: Scott Silver (IMDB)

This is my wife's favorite movie. Okay, let me change that before she reads this and gets mad. It was her favorite movie in high school. Has time been kind to this film, I guess we'll find out now?

Three screw ups are arrested on minor charges then hired by the police to infiltrate a secret drug ring. I was gonna add more to this, but that's pretty much all you need to know.

I remember thinking this was not a great movie back when I saw it, and I was right. This is a remake of a television show from the 60's that tries to infuse the show's aesthetic with a late 90's appearance. I definitely felt that this approach did not work, it ended up looking extremely dated, and in a bad way. Claire Danes is okay, Giovanni Ribisi is pretty awful, and Omar Epps is boring (with the exception of the chase scene). Epps is also not very believable as someone undercover. He kept staring at the drug dealers in the bar, no couth... plus he walks kind of weird in the movie and it bothered me a lot. The sound track was all over the place and not effective. The direction was really lame, there were tons of cheesy parts that were very typical. This time around I felt pretty similar to the first time I saw this, it's forgettable, and it should stay that way.

1 comment: