Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Hunger Games




The Hunger Games
(2012) [Trailer]
Director: Gary Ross (IMDB)

This movie is like Ryan Gosling, it's so hot right now. It had the fifth best opening day ever in movie history, which I think is pretty crazy. Seems like I just heard about the book last month for the first time ever and now it's a huge block buster movie. Now I will tell you whether it lived up to the hype it's created.

In some weird dystopian future, the government selects a boy and girl from different districts to compete in a battle to the death. I'm not really sure why they do this... I think it's because there used to be wars, and now the world is at peace, so these games are a reminder of war...or some tribute...I don't know it's very strange to me.

I found this movie's main flaw is that it's extremely predictable. I honestly guessed about 80% of what was going to happen throughout it. I would also note: I have not read the book, and why would I when there's a movie now... right? Fuck reading!

I did enjoy Jennifer Lawrence in this and Josh Hutcherson was solid as well. Their chemistry on screen seemed pretty believable I guess, not in terms of being in love, but just working together and making the most of a bad situation. There are some nice sci-fi elements interspersed throughout the film and the costume designs are very elaborate as well. I wasn't a fan of the dogs at the end, they looked a little too CG for my taste. Lastly... there needs to be a moratorium on the following: when explosions happen in a movie and the sound cuts out, as if the characters in the film lost their hearing temporarily because they were next to the blast. This is the second movie in a row I've seen do this (The Raid being the other) and it's been done numerous times in other films...dear filmmakers... stop.

Check this out if you're so inclined to do so, it opened this weekend in theaters everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment