Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Crimson Tide


Crimson Tide
(1995) [Trailer]
Director: Tony Scott (IMDB)

I picked this up on blu-ray because I remember loving it back when I saw it before. I starting watching it last night and realized I'd never seen this film. I think I'm losing it.

Synopsis: A submarine Captain (Gene Hackman) has to break in a new X.O. (Denzel Washington) while they are in route to stop a possible nuclear war with mother Russia.

Tony Scott is hit or miss for me... for example: I liked True Romance, but hated Domino. I would say "I wasn't really sure what to expect going into this" but I would be lying... as I told you earlier that I thought I had seen and loved this. That being said, I enjoyed Crimson Tide and felt Scott's direction was pretty solid. Denzel and Hackman bumped heads in a believable fashion and the rest of the cast were effective. I felt like the story was okay, but I had some believability issues with the way things panned out as the plot started to unfold. The film is highly successful at building suspense but I felt like I knew where it was headed the whole time. If you're in the mood for a decent military thriller give this a shot, it would also be a solid double bill with Das Boot or The Hunt for Red October.



No comments:

Post a Comment