Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Witches


The Witches
(1990) [Trailer]
Director: Nicolas Roeg (IMDB)

I'm on a roll with the Jim Henson productions, my last review being The Dark Crystal and now this. This wasn't intentional however, my wife just randomly picked this and I noticed during the credits that Jim and Co were responsible. For a second I was optimistic then the movie started.

Synopsis: A little kid battles a horde of witches at an English seaside hotel.

'The Witches' was a painful experience. There's not much in this movie that I can say I enjoyed. Anjelica Huston is fine, and when they turn her into a witch she looks creepy, that's about it, the rest is awful. The little kid in this is so dumb looking... you think I'm being mean... look at THIS and tell me he's not a little slow. Here's an example how this kid will fail in life: Mr Bean (the hotel manager) tells him to keep his pet mouse in it's cage and to leave it in the room, in the very next scene he's left the room with the mouse in tow and gallivanting around the hotel. Idiot!

I'm not really sure why Jim Henson decided to do this story, puppets and effects are rarely used, especially when you compare this to something like Dark Crystal or Labyrinth. For only a 90 min run time this movie felt extremely long and I found myself bored to death by the end. Definitely pass on this.


1 comment: