Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Innkeepers

The Innkeepers
(2012) [Trailer]
Director: Ty West (IMDB)

I really enjoyed Ty West's last film House of the Devil. It wasn't a perfect film, but I dug it's 70's horror aesthetic and found it really entertaining. I had heard good things about The Innkeepers and was very happy to find it was available by Video On Demand. That means no douchebags texting, talking, or interrupting my movie experience...God I wish all movies were released this way.

The movie takes place in a historic hotel that's getting ready to close it's doors for good. Two hotel employees are left alone to man the front desk on the hotel's final weekend. They are firm believers that the hotel is haunted and they try very hard to document it, even going as far as to start a website about its permanent residents. They start to reach out to the spirits and soon realize they summoned more then they can handle.

If you like your horror movies filled with immediate shock and awe, this is not the film for you. Just like House of the Devil, this is a little bit of a slow burn. Ty really loves to build tension and keep suspense high. Basically if you're looking for the next Saw, look elsewhere. I loved Sara Paxton and Pat Healy in this and I appreciated the way the director spent time on building the characters up instead of focusing on cheap trills and scares. I feel like when the horror elements came, it was appropriate. I would say my only gripe was the ending, it seemed like there should be a little more closure to the story. Definitely check this out if you're into horror, it's available now on most VODs and iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment