Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Super 8

Super 8
(2011) [Trailer]
Director: J.J. Abrams (IMDB)

I first watched Super 8 back in the summer and enjoyed it. It actually made my honorable mentions for 2011. So when it came to blu-ray I went ahead and picked it up. Would my opinion upon second viewing still hold up? We'll see.

Super 8 centers around a group of kids in central Ohio during the summer of 1979. One kid is making a horror movie. One kid likes fireworks and is the zombie in the horror movie. One kid's mom passed away. One kid's dad feels responsible. One kid is the lead in the other kid's movie, he's kind of a nerd I suppose. The other kid is really pointless. Also to note, Coach Taylor is a cop. All of them find themselves in the middle of a train wreck. That train was carrying a top secret from the government. You want me to ruin it for you....okay I will. It's an alien and it's pissed.

This movie is directed by J.J. Abrams (the same guy that brought you LOST and the new Star Trek) and is produced by Spielberg. You can absolutely feel Spielberg's hand at work here. I would say Super 8 is a cross between ET, Close Encounters, and The Goonies. It's successful in a lot of areas, but there's a few let downs for me. I'm definitely not a fan of the creature design or the ship design. The alien looks too CG for me and I think it's lame how the ship comes together. I do love the throwback to those older Spielberg productions and it was cool to see a sci-fi triller with kids as the leads. It definitely looks amazing on blu-ray and worth the purchase in my opinion. So go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment