Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Toy Story Trilogy

The Toy Story franchise is really genius. It's up there with Star Wars when it comes to merchandising and overall profit. Does that mean they're any good? Of course, cash rules everything around me. When I first saw Toy Story in the 90's I was blown away by the animation. It was the first Pixar full length, it was all CG, and opened the door for the onslaught of CG films to follow.

Toy Story
(1995) [Trailer]
Director: John Lasseter (IMDB)

Toy Story is about what really happens when you're not home. Toys come to life and do crazy shit. All in toy world is awesome until a new toy, Buzz Light Year, shows up. The leader and most played with toy, Woody, gets mad when Buzz starts stealing his playtime away from Andy (the child.) Woody tries to get Buzz out of the picture but his plan back fire, which sends the two toys on a wild ride.

As I said before, the animation blew my mind back in the 90's, and it still does. This looks sooooo good on Disney blu-ray and makes me feel like I'm seeing it for the first time again. There's honestly nothing I would change about this movie.




Toy Story 2
(1999) [Trailer]
Director: John Lasseter (IMDB)

This time around all the toys are buddy buddy, and all seems well. Andy's mother decide to have a yard sale and Woody accidentally finds himself for sale. Just so happens a toy collector shows up and steals Woody....Newman! Turns out Woody is rare and worth a ton of Japanese yen. The rest of the toys head out to save Woody.

This movie is pretty much just as good as the first. It looses just a little bit because I feel the story isn't as good as the first. The animation is still mind blowing, especially the intro scene on Zorg's planet. I love all the little references to Star Wars, and even Jurassic Park. Definitely a lot of fun and well deserved in any collection.




Toy Story 3
(2010) [Trailer]
Director: Lee Unkrich (IMDB)

The final chapter finds Andy ready to rage and tear shit up at college. Baby's all grown up and done with his toy playing days. Through a series of events the toys find themselves as hand me downs to the local daycare. At first everything seems amazing and the toys think they've hit the jackpot, but the daycare isn't all that it seems.

Part 3 is the best of the trilogy in my book. It's definitely the funniest. It looks the best, especially the humans. Andy isn't as weird looking as he was in the first movie. The plot is awesome, this is basically an animated prison break flick, and it rules.

All three installments are great and a real fun time. Disney, thank you. Keep the hits coming.

3 comments:

  1. The highlight for me in these movies is the way Woody runs. Geeks me out err time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toy Story 2 was made during the hype of toy collecting so it rang true for so many people that have or had collected toys at one time or another. All 3 are definitely worthy of 5 Arnolds, in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree. Love all three. #1 will always be dear to my heart as the first, but #3 definitely wowed me. Can't believe it they are 15 years apart.
    p.s. i still have all my toys from the first one. they are finally "out of the box" again in my son's room. i even got a jessie doll when he was born to help complete the collection. can't wait to share the movies with him.

    ReplyDelete