Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Help

The Help
(2011) [Trailer]
Director: Tate Taylor (IMDB)

If you wanna make a good American racist stew here's the ingredients you'll need.

1/2 Cup Rich White People
A dash of Deep South
2 teaspoons of 1960's

Blend together and let simmer for 146 mins and then you're good.

I'm glad I live in New York City in 2012, and anyone that wishes they grew up in the 50's and 60's, should watch this movie.

The Help centers around a group of maids in Mississippi in the 1960's who work for a bunch of rich assholes (mostly). Skeeter (Emma Stone) comes home from college to find her family's maid, who basically raised her, has been let go. Skeet Skeet gets the idea to interview one of the maids, Aibileen (Viola Davis), who works for her friend, then write a book based on the interview.

People always say "The book is soooo much better than the movie" and I'm afraid in this case they would probably be right. Now to be honest, I haven't read the book, but my wife did and she's the one that agreed with that statement. I like the story, I just didn't like the execution of it. The cinematography and score for this movie are boring. There's a lot of things that the director tried to squeeze in from the book, that didn't work in the film, like Skeeter's love interest. It was pointless and I would have completely removed it and just focused on the important subject matter from the novel. I will say the best thing about this film is Viola Davis, she's awesome, and definitely deserving of the SAG award she just won.

2 comments:

  1. I hated the book and I assume the film is worse. Unrealistic as hell. The "heroine" of the film, Skeeter, really doesn't do much of anything to help the maids and the ending almost made me throw up in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw it. Loved it!! Come on Curtis, at least 4 Arnolds!!

    ReplyDelete