Monday, June 18, 2012

A.I. Artificial Intelligence


A.I. Artificial Intelligence
(2001) [Trailer]
Director: Steven Spielberg (IMDB)

Synopsis: In the future a robot boy has dreams of becoming a real boy... it's like Pinocchio, but not.

I'm dropping a little more Steven Spielberg on you this time, but to be fair this is also a little Stanley Kubrick. As many people know, Stanley passed the buck to Spielberg before God so unkindly dragged him from this earth (people needed good movies in heaven obviously.)

A.I. is a solid film, you could call it the Buick LaSabre of Spielberg's filmography... those are solid cars right? It's stylistically pleasing to me and I love the special effects incorporated into the second half especially. Haley Joel Osment was fantastic in the role as David, Jude Law also plays a pretty convincing android.

I felt like there were a few pacing issues, one being towards the end, it seemed to drag a little. Also, I know it's a movie and all, but if they can create these elaborate robots, why can't they reprogram them if and when their owners decide to get rid of them? Why would they have to be destroyed if mommy falls out of love with them? Kids are assholes, the robot makers should have prepared for that scenario. I call bull shit on that.


No comments:

Post a Comment