Monday, June 18, 2012

Miami Vice


Miami Vice
(2006) [Trailer]
Director: Michael Mann (IMDB)

I've shared my thoughts on remakes on this blog before but for those new to this page, or unwilling to click that link, I used to hate the idea of remakes, I've now changed my tune. Miami Vice is a perfect example of why remakes can be a good idea.

Synopsis: Two Miami cops go deep undercover to break up a South American drug ring.

I enjoyed Miami Vice as a kid and I think Michael Mann did a bang up job recreating the spirit of the TV show (he was the producer of the show) but taking it and doing something different. This is way more realistic and gritty compared to the original series. The use of digital cameras gives a really interesting tone to the whole film, it reminded me of COPS sometimes.

When Colin Farrell first came on screen I thought "does he look like this because he's undercover, or will he keep this appearance the whole time? God, I hope it's the whole time." I was not a disguise, he just looks like a dirt ball, it's great. Jamie Foxx is also a good addition, actually I liked the whole cast mostly. I really enjoyed a lot of the locations they filmed in, Mann did a phenomenal job picking visually stimulating sites. I was not a fan of some of the music choices however, especially the Phil Collins nu-metal cover.

Definitely check this out, I recommend it for fans of action and crime films.



No comments:

Post a Comment