Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Dracula


Dracula
(1992) [Trailer]
Director: Francis Ford Coppola (IMDB)

To quote a great author "Vampires are pretty hot right now. You got Twilight and True Blood and let's not forget... Lost Boys: The Tribe." This was one of my favorite vampire flicks in high school, but honestly I had forgotten a lot of it. So I decided to dig into the blu-ray last night and give her another go.

Synopsis: Francis Ford Coppola brings Bram Stoker's classic novel to life and we learn the origins of the most famous vampire ever... Count Chocula, I mean Dracula.

I still really enjoyed this movie and it has a certain timeless feel to me. The visuals are incredible and instead of using computers or elaborate special effects, Coppola hearkens back to older and more traditional effects used in classic cinema. This choice was a fantastic one and gives this film a very cool look.

Gary Oldman is the best in this, seriously, he rules as Dracula and is in close running for best Dracula ever next to Klaus Kinski in Nosferatu or Bela Lugosi in the original. Sir Anthony Hopkins and Winona Ryder were pretty convincing as well. I guess I should talk about the elephant in the room, or elephant in the blog, Keanu Reeves. A lot of people hated him in this and while his accent was shit, he wasn't that awful. I'll deduct a half point for him, the rest is awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment