Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Mist


The Mist
(2007) [Trailer]
Director: Frank Darabont (IMDB)

I joined a site called Letterboxd. It's like Facebook for film geeks I suppose. I started a Top 50 Best Horror Movies of All Time List and a few people commented that I should check out The Mist and see if it could scrounge its way into the hallowed grounds of my list.

Synopsis: A mysterious mist creeps through a sleepy New England town, the residents soon find out that there is some hardcore shit going on under the vale of fog. After the town becomes versed on the unseen menace they take refuge in a local market and have to learn how to keep their shit together under duress.

Stephen King's works have been brought to the big screen by director Frank Darabont two times before this movie, so you could say they have a bit of a hard on for each another. Darabont is also the man responsible for The Walking Dead, which one third of the cast from this film are also in. The Mist reminds me a lot of John Carpenter's The Fog, only not as effective. It's scary at times and it has some decent dramatic moments, but there are a few areas that bothered me. The way the protagonist's neighbor starts to act is a little unbelievable and some of the other performance, especially the religious lady, are a little over the top. There's also a lot of inconsistencies with the critters in the mist that bothered me.

I did really enjoy the ending, which I won't spoil, but the film definitely gained points for it.

3 comments:

  1. I am not a huge horror buff and found this enjoyable. I am going to put up a review for you Curtis for a movie that I think would make your top 10 and because it is not in your list, I can only assume you have never seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly enjoyed this movie. Certainly a different type of horror film.

    ReplyDelete