Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cabin Fever



Cabin Fever
(2002) [Trailer]
Director: Eli Roth (IMDB)

Bad horror movies are a dime a dozen and I have a soft spot in my heart for them. Out of any genre, horror is one of my favorites and the easiest to go with when I'm undecided on what to watch. Horror flicks, especially from the 70's and 80's are great for turning off your mind and just relaxing. With that said, these films don't always get a pass. They need to have that special something in there to make them enjoyable, I don't know exactly what that something is, but I know it when I see it. Fuck, does that make any sense?

A group of college kids head out to the woods to stay at a cabin for the week. The gang realize after arriving that they've made a huge mistake when people start contracting a killer flesh eating virus.

First the bad.  The acting is spotty, and the dialogue is painful at times. I think the writer/director Eli Roth was trying to capture this idea of stupid college kids from the 90's, and a lot of times it was believable and other times, it was not. It just seemed a little too forced. The scene with the store keeper and the group of black guys at the end of the film was brutal, like one of those things where you're embarrassed to just be watching it.

Next the good. The gore, blood splatter, and practical effects were pretty awesome. The scene with the razor in the bathtub is gut wrenching and the final outcome of the blond chick is very cool looking. I also liked some of the weird elements interspersed throughout the movie, like the little kid screaming "pancakes" and busting into a kung-fu routine, also the strange bunny rabbit guy in the emergency room. Little extras like that helped save the movie for me.

I feel like Roth was trying to make a campy B movie and it was somewhat successful overall. It's also really impressive how much this movie was made for, 1.5 million. It's by no means perfect, but I was entertained.


No comments:

Post a Comment