Sunday, April 8, 2012

Once Upon a Time in the West



Once Upon a Time in the West
(1968) [Trailer]
Director: Sergio Leone (IMDB)

The first time I drove through the deserts of the southwest I remember thinking it was one of the most beautiful places on earth. So vast, rugged and untouched by man. Until that point in my life I had only seen images like that in the movies, movies like Once Upon a Time in the West. I was finally a cowboy reconnecting with the land, or some shit like that.

The story for this is a bit complex and hard to explain, so here's a quick account. A widow is visited by the man accused of killing her husband. Meanwhile a mysterious man named Harmonica shows up to help the accused man take down the real killer.

Like all Sergio Leone films I've seen, I loved this. There's so much good in this it's really hard to encapsulate it all into one short review. I thoroughly enjoyed the opening scene, it's orchestrated with regular sounds instead of music in a way that adds a sense of tension or unease and it really stood out in a weird, but good, way. There's also a fantastic scene in the middle of the film with this long tracking shot that follows Frank (Henry Fonda) in the background as his hops from train car to train car a while you see dead bodies disbursed about in the foreground... really good stuff. Speaking of Frank, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards, and Charles Bronson are all great in their roles as well, and I am in love with Claudia Cardinale... sorry wife (at least she's probably all old and wrinkley now, unlike your boy Ryan Gosling...he's so hot right now.)

There's a lot more that I can talk about, but I'll leave you to form your own opinion if you haven't seen the movie yet. If you have, we'll have a discussion about it later. Okay? Good.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment