Saturday, April 7, 2012

Pet Sematary



Pet Sematary
(1989) [Trailer]
Director: Mary Lambert (IMDB)

I used to love playing music. I played in bands, toured, and recorded records... all that's dead now. My dreams faded away and that passion is no longer pulsing through my veins. I look back on those days and remember my first foray into that world. My two best friends and I decided that for Christmas we would each ask for an instrument. Them, the drums and guitar, and me the bass. We were nice that year and Santa delivered the goods. Now we were a band, but what to call ourselves? We all were fans of horror movies, especially Stephen King's Pet Sematary, why not something from that? We decided to name ourselves "Dead is Better" after one of the more iconic lines in the film. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I guess, like my dreams, dead really is better.

Pet Sematary is about a special cemetery, and if buried there, things come back to life, but they never come back the way they were...

This movie was one of my favorite horror movies growing up, and I still really enjoy it. It's not a perfect film, but it still holds up in my book. The casting is spotty, I like Lieutenant Tasha Yar and Herman Munster, but I'm not a fan of the Dad and little girl. It's still creepy as shit, and there's a lot of arm hair raising moment. I also enjoyed the practical effects, the blood and gore scenes were well done. It's one of those films where you'll question a lot of things, like why would Herman Munster take the dad to the graveyard knowing what happens after the dead come back, and why wouldn't these people just throw up a speed limit sign, but I guess then we wouldn't have a movie now would we.

Anyways, it's available on Netflix instant and I'd recommend you check it out.


1 comment: