Friday, July 20, 2012

Krull


Krull
(1983) [Trailer]
Director: Peter Yates (IMDB)

My wife fell asleep twice while watching this movie with me. By that I mean, we started two nights ago and she fell asleep, I paused it so we could finish it the next night (because I'm considerate), then the next night came and she fell asleep again. So you can tell it's awesome!

Synopsis: A monster from space comes to Krull and steals a princess. Her prince gets a glaive and with a group of ruffians, he sets out to rescue her.

This is one of my favorite films from my childhood, so even if it didn't hold up, it'd still get a pass from me... good thing it still doesn't suck so I don't feel like a hypocrite. If you're fan of films like Willow, Star Wars, and Breakfast at Tiffany's, you'll love this. Wait... sorry not Breakfast at Tiffany's... I meant Dune, I always confuse the two. I love the effects and set pieces in this. Even though some don't hold up, I don't care, there's something comforting about them. Examples would be the Cyclops, the painted back drops, and the spider. You don't see quality practical effects like that in LOTR. That's right I just took a jab at Frodo & Co, deal with it. I will end with one of the most important elements of this film... the score by James Horner, it's something to behold... a classic if you will.

Get on board kids, this is a good time. Also... all the corporate guys at Columbia/Warner reading this, please go ahead and get this slated for a blu-ray release. Thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment