Monday, March 12, 2012

North Shore



North Shore
(1987) [Trailer]
Director: William Phelps (IMDB)

Growing up in Virginia Beach I was more then likely at some point going to try out surfing. I actually started getting pretty good at it before I moved up to New York and became a shitty hipster. In my surfer heyday, myself and many of my buddies, would watch North Shore religiously. I know most of the lines in this film by heart, and I've seen it probably over 20 times so get ready for the love fest.

Rick Kane wins a local surf contest at the wave pool in Arizona. He decides to take his hard earned cash and spend the summer surfing the big waves at the North Shore of Hawaii. Seems rad right? Well he gets a wake up call pretty quick when he realizes Hawaii isn't all that he dreamed it'd be.

I consider this to be a perfect movie. I obviously understand that it isn't, but I'm like a mother who looks at her ugly child and thinks it's beautiful. To me, it can do no wrong. I'm not going to tell you why I think it's brilliant, instead I will now take a moment to quote some of my favorite lines.

Occy: "Hey...Alex...come jump in with us."
Alex: "Great I love skin diving."

Kid: "Scrub it kook!"

Local with the shitty stache: "Hey hoale"
Rick: "Hey, hoale to you too"
Local with the shitty stache: "He's so hoale, he doesn't even know he's hoale, beat it hoale these are our waves."

Turtle: "Don't even touch barno, that rhyno-chaser don't need no big howley hand print messin' up its whole trip."

Chandler: "Go ahead...go shred."

There's tons more but I don't want to keep you all day. If you haven't seen this, I suggest you do, It's on Netflix instant.

1 comment: