Sunday, May 13, 2012

Danger: Diabolik


Danger Diabolik
(1968) [Trailer]
Director: Mario Bava (IMDB)

I'm sitting on a bus from DC to New York right now and decided to kill some time. I had a copy of Diabolik and thought... why not. I didn't know a lot going into this, I just knew Mario Bava (who I'm fond of) directed it and Ennio Morricone (who is my favorite composer) did the score. I had read some praises for it online as well, so I was hoping for a good time... was that time spent wisely... I will tell you now.

Synopsis: Diabolik is a super criminal who is pretty fucking rad and pulls off lots of heists in Italy.

Wow.... this blew me away with awesomeness. I dare you to watch the first ten minutes of this movie and tell me it's not one of the coolest films ever made. I loved everything I saw on screen and was like a parasite just wanting more and more of it as I went along.
What rules about this:

1. The score is bad ass. I want it as theme music to my life.
2. The cinematography is over the top, in a great way. Lots of quick zooms, close ups, and first person shots... plus grand views of Italy.
3. Diabolik and his girlfriend, both are totally hot together, can you say "power couple"?
4. The heists: everyone of them are unique and really fun to watch unfold.
5. Diabolik's hideout... it might be one of the greatest set pieces in film history.

I can't sing enough praises about this movie, in my opinion it's a must see for any fan of Tarantino or Wes Anderson or film in general. My only complaint is that I watched it on my laptop and not on a big screen... call me Nostradamus cause I see a re-watch in my future.



No comments:

Post a Comment