Wednesday, April 10, 2013

From Beyond


From Beyond
(1986) [Trailer]
Director: Stuart Gordon [IMDB]

I reviewed Stuart Gordon's horror cult classic Re-Animator back in December. Right around that time Scream Factory (one of the greatest curators and providers of horror movies working today) announced they would be releasing Gordan's next film after Re-Animator... From Beyond. Like Re-Animator, From Beyond is another H.P. Lovecraft adaption and stars two of the same actors from Re-Animator. Being that I never saw it, I was hoping for some good times based off the people involved... so let's get into it.

Synopsis: Scientists develop a machine that fuses our dimension with another, but they weren't ready for what they found on the other side.

From Beyond is a lot of fun. It's totally loaded with gore and amazing 80's practical effects work. Actually, I'd say it's a huge step up from Re-Animator in that department. If you're squeamish, I'd avoid this.

It wastes little time getting into the story and keeps you pretty invested, I'd say maybe the last 30 minutes it started to slow down for me. The acting is about on par with Re-Animator.... it's not great, but serviceable.

If you're a fan of blood and guts (who isn't) then check this bad larry out.



No comments:

Post a Comment