Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Place Beyond the Pines


The Place Beyond the Pines
(2013) [Trailer]
Director: Derek Cianfrance [IMDB]

Derek Cianfrance cranked out one of my favorite films in 2010... Blue Valentine. So I was happy to hear he was teaming back up with Ryan Gosling (so hot right now) again for a new film. I didn't know anything about The Place Beyond the Pines going into it, I just wanted to be surprised... and boy was I.

Synopsis: A young motorcycle stunt driver's bad decisions affect his and a rookie cop's life in unforeseen ways.

The Place Beyond the Pines unfolds in a really interesting and unique way that was masterfully executed on screen by Mr. Cianfrance. This film will be pretty difficult to talk about without getting into spoilers but I'm gonna try and do my best since it's still in the theaters. The introduction of characters and where they exist within the timeline of the story keeps things fresh and makes the run time (140 mins) not seem so long. There were a few believability issues I had, but not enough to ruin the picture. The music, cinematography and locations were all perfect and helped deliver a pleasurable viewing experience.

My wife said before we watched this that she had heard it's depressing... that wouldn't surprise me after seeing Blue Valentine. The events that take place throughout A Place Beyond the Pines were somewhat of a bum out at times, but that mixed with all the other elements of the film just make great cinema. For me, the ending of this movie wasn't a downer at all, it had a "there's a light at the end of the tunnel" vibe to it.

This is an absolute recommendation from me if you're into crime dramas with a little twist to them. I loved it.


No comments:

Post a Comment