Monday, June 17, 2013

Living in Oblivion


Living in Oblivion
(1995) [Trailer]
Director: Tom DiCillo [IMDB]

My buddy Michael recommended I check this title out and I like to listen to my friends. You're welcome Michael.

Synopsis: Steve Buscemi, Catherine Keener and a whole host of other actors (including a nice cameo from Tyrion Lannister) try to make a low budget movie.

Living in Oblivion is really surprising and it doesn't feel like it's trying to emulate any other movie. It stands out as a unique viewing experience and one I'd like to have again. It's a comedy... but done in a way that doesn't beat you over the head. I found myself laughing a lot and the jokes weren't cheap and easy, which I appreciated.

Living in Oblivion is also unconventional in the way it's presented. With any film crew, they'll have to go through numerous takes to get a shot right and that's what happens in this movie, but they put you through that experience as well... which is the best part. The repetitiveness of the film seems like it could be annoying, but I found it helped build up things in a rewarding way. Like some weird set up to a punch line. Also by planting itself in the behind the scenes world of film making, it helped produce something very interesting and that locale is not often used in movies, which was refreshing.

I thought this was a homerun and I'm surprised I've never heard of it until now, definitely going to give it a big recommendation and I'm gonna end up buying it at some point I would imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment