Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Blade


Blade
(1998) Trailer
Director: Stephen Norrington [IMDB]

My good buddy Sam Slater picked this up for me as a gift, so this review goes out to him... thanks Sam!

I've actually wanted to check this film out for a while, but just never got around to it. Now that I finally own it on blu-ray, I figured it was time to jam on it.

Synopsis: Wesley Snipes is a vampire hunter tracking a pack of particularly deadly killers led by.... Stephen Dorff?

One thing you immediately notice when watching Blade is how much it feels like The Matrix visually and action wise. It did come out a year prior to The Matrix, but the "internets" say they were in production at the same time. So, who knows if The Matrix ripped this off... but it sure does feel like it did.

Snipes is pretty believable in his roll and I also really loved Kris Kristofferson... I thought he was perfectly cast. One person who didn't work for me, was Stephen Dorff. I like him as an actor, I thought Somewhere was one of the best films of 2010, but as the ruthless leader of a vampire clan... he just didn't seem like a realistic choice.

Overall I loved the action and style Blade laid out and found it to be a fun genre flick. I think I'll have to pick up the second installment at some point and give that go.



No comments:

Post a Comment