Friday, January 10, 2014

All Is Lost


All Is Lost
(2013) [Trailer]
Director: J.C. Chandor [IMDB]

All Is Lost was a film I really wanted to squeeze in before I made my Top 10 List for 2013... sadly I didn't get the chance. After watching it, it probably would have made it in there, or been really close. Here's why.

Synopsis: A man is stranded at sea... you watch... you enjoy.

This film immediately sinks its teeth into you and doesn't let go for the rest of the ride. I loved it and was captivated by every minute of it. It's like a procedural for surviving at sea and almost has a weird documentary vibe to it. There's no dialog... minus the monologue in the beginning, Robert Redford says all of 4 words in the whole thing. It doesn't really need that though, I was just caught up in the act of him staying alive and keeping his shit together. Redford rules the role and is convincing enough that I think he may have lived on a sailboat in real life at one point.

I feel extremely satisfied with All Is Lost and I haven't seen anything like it before. It takes the whole "lost at sea" sub-genre (if there is such a thing) and reinvents it in an interesting way.

No comments:

Post a Comment