Thursday, February 23, 2012

Chronicle




Chronicle
2012 [Trailer]
Director: Josh Trank (IMDB)

Based off a poll I posted Tuesday, this is the movie you, the reader, picked for me to watch today. I'm actually kinda glad it was this and not Journey 2: The Mysterious Island.

Chronicle follows three high-schoolers (including Vince from FNL and or Wallace from the Wire) who after raging at a party one night, discover that the world is bleak and meaningless and that we're all animals waiting to die.... I kid, they get superpowers after touching a mysterious crystal in some cave. Their bonds of friendship are tested as their powers start to grow.

I actually quite enjoyed this movie. It's not perfect, but it's a solid superhero flick. The movie falls into the "found footage" genre, and helps it stand out amongst all the other superhero movies. The film tended to go out of it's way to remind the audience that it's being self shot and they definitely thought up lots of different ways to pull off the filming by everyone in the movie. It stood out a lot, but not in a way that ruined it for me. I loved the writing and everything seemed pretty fluid. The special effects were great, especially the crystal thing that gives them their powers, and also the flying scenes. I also liked that Seattle was the back drop for everything. I would recommend this and it's out in theaters now.

No comments:

Post a Comment