Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Die Hard Anthology



Yippie kay yay motherfucker.

(1988) [Trailer]
Director: John McTiernan [IMDB]

Synopsis: John McClane is a cop on vacation in LA and trying to patch shit up with his wife. Terrorist decide to take over her office building and McClane is the only thing standing between them and 72 virgins.... I'm kidding they're not those kind of terrorist... they are the kind that want money.

This film is wonderful and about as easy to watch as you can get. If you sit through this and don't think Bruce Willis is the coolest, you're an idiot and I hate your stupid face... okay I don't hate your face, you're entitled to your opinions and I respect that. It's well paced and the action is superb without being too over the top (well maybe with the exception of the rooftop explosion scene.) It's also really funny, even though I wouldn't categorize it as a comedy, but I find myself laughing a lot throughout it's run time. I love this film and would say it's up there as one of my favorite action films ever.




Die Hard 2
(1990) [Trailer]
Director: Renny Harlin [IMDB]

Synopsis: This time McClane has to try and stop terrorists from taking over Dulles International Airport.

Leave it to Renny Harlin to take a perfectly good franchise and run it into the ground. This movie sucks. I can't put it any other way. It just misfires for me in so many places and feels wrong. It's like me trying to fit into an old t-shirt I wore back in highschool when I skinny, it's just awkward. Okay, so I'm exaggerating... I'm not fat... but just imagine I am. Everything that worked in the first movie is gone here. The claustrophobia and tension are out the door, and now you get McClane running around an airport while planes are trying to land... dont they realize BWI and Reagan National Airport aren't too far away. I think Bruce Willis is the only saving grace of this movie for me, he owns the role and at least that came through a little. Very disappointed in this.




Die Hard: With a Vengeance
(1995) [Trailer]
Director: John McTiernan [IMDB]

Synopsis: Bruce Willis is joined by Samuel L Jackson to stop terrorists from blowing up different parts of NYC.

McTiernan is back to save the day and bring this Die Hard train back  onto the rails. I really enjoy the addition of Samuel L Jackson, I think most people are either gonna like him or hate him in this. I think their chemistry works and that's why this film is successful for me. The action and suspense are much more ramped up then part 2 as well, so it's a nice return to form. The only down side for me is the ending seemed a bit stretched out and overly involved. Still, it's a good time and comes in at number two for me.




Live Free or Die Hard
(2007) [Trailer]
Director: Len Wiseman [IMDB]

Synopsis: Bruce Willis and the Mac guy take on a team of super hackers looking to overthrow the government.

This is a bit of a snooze fest for me. The story line was uninteresting and seemed like the wrong fit for a Die Hard movie. My co-worker brought up a great point... if this was just released as a normal Bruce Willis action film, it would have probably been better received. Regardless, it's still a bit absurd, unbelievable and I'd totally pass on it if I were you.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment