Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Master


The Master
(2012) [Trailer]
Director: Paul Thomas Anderson [IMDB]

I will start off quickly by saying this was one of my most anticipated films of 2012. I truly enjoy the work of PT Anderson and based off the limited info I allowed myself to see about this... I knew it was going to be a pleaser.

Synopsis: Joaquin Phoenix is a young impressionable man who falls into a new religion called The Cause led by Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

My wife and I had a nice little discussion about this film on the way home from seeing it tonight. She says, "I felt like I was expecting something that never happened." I smacked her across face because I didn't agree and she needed to be taught a lesson. No... I didn't do that, because I'm not an asshole and respect people, even if I don't agree with them. Honestly, I could see how she would think that.

The Master takes a very non-traditional route in term of story telling. It doesn't have a climax really and it doesn't have a huge ending, but I don't think that matters and I think that was the director's intent... at least I hope. I will tell you now, if you're looking for a straight forward narrative and an easy to follow story... you're gonna have a bad time.

I think The Master does a wonderful job at looking at religion and where it begins and who decides to follow it... and why they do. Some people "drink the Kool-Aid" and some do not I guess. The Master is also a character study on a man who comes in and out of that experience... that experience being religion.

The Master excels primarily in a few areas. Mainly the acting, it's about as good as it gets. Hoffman, Phoenix, and Adams all deserve some award that will make them feel good about themselves. The cinematography is also top notch and the score by Johnny Greenwood is fantastic.

I was really happy with the outcome here and while it's not for everyone, it's for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment