Monday, January 28, 2013

Manhattan

Manhattan
(1979) [Trailer]
Director: Woody Allen [IMDB]

This movie is considered a masterpiece by many and is widely considered one of Woody Allen's best films. I've never considered myself a huge fan of Allen's work, I've seen a few of his movies and always felt they were ok... but not great. Let's see if Manhattan wins me over.

Synopsis: An aging writer in New York struggles to balance his love life between two women.

Manhattan falls in line with all the other Woody Allen films I've seen, but it's the best of all of them so far. It was an enjoyable watch, but wasn't very impactful. Manhattan is considered a comedy, but I didn't really laugh during its run time. It's humorous in its tone I suppose, but more of a drama in my opinion. I really enjoyed the old b&w footage of the city and being a resident here for the last 8 years.... it made me want to go take a stroll through Central Park in the snow. The cast were all strong, but as with most Woody Allen films I've seen, he is the show runner and star.

Also a side note... when it comes to Ingmar Bergman, I'm on team Allen... team Keaton can piss off.


No comments:

Post a Comment