Saturday, February 9, 2013

Side Effects


Side Effects
(2013) [Trailer]
Director: Steven Soderbergh [IMDB]

Steven Soderbergh gets a lot of love on this site, if fact he may be the most reviewed. I really enjoy his filmography and consider him one of the more consistant directors working today. So when I heard this was going to be his last film (I have a feeling it won't be)  it made me excited to see how he'd send us off.

Synopsis: After a young wife's husband is released from prison, she combats her depression with a new drug that has some interesting side effects... as the title would have one believe.

Side Effects is a really interesting title. It has a big Hitchcock vibe to it and it takes a pretty huge turn about half way through it. It's almost better that you go in not knowing much about the film, I think it'll make for a better experience. Rooney Mara and Jude Law are impressive but Catherine Zeta Jones and Channing Tatum seemed a little average. Stylewise, I loved this movie, as I normally do with a Soderbergh joint.

I'd definitely recommend this if you're in the mood for a good thriller. It's worth your time.




1 comment:

  1. Although some of its twists and character relationships could be developed more clearly, the movie still comes through as a surprisingly engrossing thriller with fantastic turns from the whole cast. Nice review Curtis.

    ReplyDelete