Sunday, February 3, 2013

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 & 2




Quentin Tarantino is one of my all time favorite directors. I think a lot of people also share my sentiments and if they don't, they can piss off. Pulp Fiction, for me, was one of the main reasons I started getting into art house and independent cinema. After checking out his recent masterpiece, I think I may go back a revisit some of the greats... I'll start with Kill Bill.

Kill Bill: Vol. 1
(2003) [Trailer]
Director: Quentin Tarantino [IMDB]

Synopsis: A bride (Uma) wakes to find that she's been in a coma for 4 years and now must enact vengeance on the people responsible for ruining her life.

Kill Bill is highly entertaining and wastes no time strapping you in and kicking things into high gear. The first fight scene with Vivica A Fox is awesome and the intermission scene once the daughter arrives is a welcome curveball. There's plenty of homages to other films and genres, one that is glaringly obvious is Bruce Lee. The Cato masks and the yellow track suit pull the nostalgia card and warms my cold lifeless heart.

I'd say the only thing I dislike would be the anime scene. It doesn't work at all for me and drags on way too long.

Other than that, Kill Bill is like a Chucky Cheese to a 6 year old... a good time.




Kill Bill: Vol. 2
(2004) [Trailer]
Director: Quentin Tarantino [IMDB]

Synopsis: The bride is back to finish the job.

This is the continuation of part 1 basically but I think it's a stronger film. There's some outstanding dialog and performances.... especially from David Caradine, Michael Parks, and Michael Madsen. There are more great fights scenes and a cool training montage with Pai Mei... again harking back to the old kung fu flicks of the 70's and 80's.

SPOILER: Bill's death is handled so well. There's obviously foreshadowing earlier in the film to what will take place, but I thought it was cool that Tarantino went right for the kill, verses dragging it out through a long drawl out fight scene. END SPOILER

Definitely invest some time in Kill Bill if you haven't done so already. Love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment