Monday, April 22, 2013

The Fury


The Fury
(1978) [Trailer]
Director: Brian De Palma [IMDB]

Variety is the spice of life. Going from films like From Beyond to To the Wonder to The Fury keeps things interesting for me. One ingredient I haven't skimped out on in this gumbo of movie reviews I make is Brian De Palma. He has gotten some love from me here at WFR and for good reason. His films are truly entertaining and always aim to please. Recently I picked up this Twilight Time release for way too much money... so now, I'll tell you if it was worth it.

Synopsis: A man must fight against a secret government agency holding his son capivate because of his psychic abilities.

The Fury was a pretty awesome film. It has that cool late 70's vibe to it and resonates a strong Hitchcockian vibe to it... only with more blood. Kirk Douglas, John Cassavetes, and Amy Irving were all really good and Andrew Stevens has a very gnarly protruding forehand vein. I loved the use of gore in The Fury, while not extremely prevalent, when it's there it's effective... with the ending being the cherry on top.

Plotwise, there were a few things that felt hard to digest and some pacing issues, but overall this film is a winner in my book. If you don't feel like dishing out the absurd $30 price tag that Twilight Time releases have, go download it... it's worth a poke.


No comments:

Post a Comment