Saturday, October 12, 2013

Gravity


Gravity
(2013) [Trailer]
Director: Alfonso Cuarón [IMDB]

I went to check out Gravity with some friends of mine last night (Doug & Shawn... shout outs!) and they both left the theater saying the same thing... Gravity didn't feel like a movie to them. I wasn't really sure what they meant by that. What makes something a movie and what criteria excludes film from being....well, a film? If Holy Motors is considered a movie, then this sure is hell is one too. Well, I'm getting ahead of myself, let me stick to the same stupid format I have with all my reviews. Here's your synopsis, then your meat and potatoes.

Synopsis: Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are two astronauts who get stranded in space.

This is absolutely a movie in my book and a really good one to boot. There are a few cheesy moments towards the end, but ultimately it's a film that keeps you on edge and interested for the whole experience. When I mentioned that Doug and Shawn felt like this wasn't a movie, it's because it's extremely realistic. Now, I'm no astronaut and I'm sure not everything is 100% accurate here, but it's Hollywood, who cares. It's entertaining. If I wanted reality, I'd watch a documentary. But I think that's their problem with Gravity, it's a film that's so real, it gives off that docu-type vibe. It pretty awesome in my opinion and doesn't feel like any film I've ever seen.

Besides its technical prowess, it also delivers a suburb score and the performances were all fairly on point. Like I said, there are some wanky moments occasionally with the dialogue but outside of that, it's a home run... nah, it's more like a triple.

No comments:

Post a Comment