Monday, December 24, 2012

Holy Motors


Holy Motors
(2012) [Trailer]
Director: Leos Carax [IMDB]

This year is coming to an end and that means "best of 2012" lists are popping up everywhere. In preparation for putting my own together, I figured I'd pop on Holy Motors, a film which has been making its way into many "best of" lists this year. So... here we go.

Synopsis: A guy in a limo drives around Paris and is given assignments where he takes on the lives of different characters.

I'll start by saying if you're looking for some kind of narrative in your movie going experience and you wanna check out Holy Motors... you're gonna have a bad time. This film has zero storyline and is more like a group images and events linked together by the protagonist and his limo. It's a beautiful looking film and there are lots of stunning visuals (like the dog in theater at the beginning.) What do these cinematic paintings and their sporadic dialogue interlaced throughout them mean? This enigmatic title's main point is to question the viewer. It's confusing and basically leaves you scratching your head. For me, there are other movies that do this much better (Synecdoche, New York), but I still applaud the film maker for trying to do something different. It just didn't work for me... mainly I found the movie tiresome and a little slow.

I don't think Holy Motors is horrible and it's something that I'd like to revisit, but if you're not into artsy films... you will loathe this.


No comments:

Post a Comment