Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sling Blade

Sling Blade
(1996) [Trailer]
Director: Billy Bob Thornton (IMDB)

I haven't seen this movie in over 10 years. I loved it back when I first saw it. I recently picked it up in the 7 dollar blu-ray bin at Bestbuy and figured it was time to revisit it.

Sling Blade centers around Karl (Billy Bob Thornton), who's a retard recently released from the mental ward. I know, I know...I know what you're thinking...retard isn't PC. Okay. He's mentally handicap. I'm sorry. He meets a boy (Frank) and befriends him and his family. Frank's step dad is Dwight Yoakam, and he's a dick. Billy Bob's history catches up with him and find himself falling back into his past transgressions.

Billy Bob starred/directed this puppy and it's one hell of a film. I love so many things about this: Jack Tripper, Jim Jaramusch, Billy Bob's acting, the band, the score, and the cinematography. There's not much to hate here, if anything I would say it could be trimmed down a bit, but it's nothing too detrimental overall. I'm glad I picked this up and would recommend you check it out again, or if you've been living with the Sentinelese in the Andaman Islands for the last 15 years, watch it new for the first time.

1 comment:

  1. Curty...you say "he has an intellectual disability".

    Love,

    Crystal, your aspiring special education teacher boo. : )

    ReplyDelete