Thursday, June 14, 2012

Invasion of the Body Snatchers


Invasion of the Body Snatchers
(1978) [Trailer]
Director: Philip Kaufman (IMDB)

This is a remake of the 1950's film by the same name. I haven't seen either one, but I know many consider this to be the best version and also a horror classic. I threw it on last night to see what all the fuss is about... actually there's no fuss, I made that up.

Synopsis: People start slowly changing into emotionless weirdos and a group of San Franciscans fight to avoid becoming clones.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers has easily moved its way into becoming one of my favorite horror movies ever. I seriously loved this film and it's one of the creepiest movies ever made in my book.

I am going to give you a run down of how the creep factor was turned up to 11 on this film.

1.The cinematography. It's all over the place. Weird angles, filming from behind a broken wind shield, and other oddly shot scenes which seem to not fit, but do in an aberrant way.

2. The extras in this are strange. There are lots of random people staring at the camera in the back ground and some of them even look like their faces are blurred out. They'll pop up behind windows, in the street, and in the hallways. It's a great effect.

3. The sound design is extraordinary. The score and all the little perverse noises added throughout help heighten the suspense.

4. The garbage men. There are always dudes taking out the trash, it's a dirty little metaphor.

5. The practical effects. The pods and the clones looked nasty. Love it.

It's also loaded with a great cast including Donald Sutherland, Leonard Nimoy, Brooke Adams, and Jeff Goldblum.  Definitely pick this up if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment