Monday, August 13, 2012

Swingers

Swingers
(1996) [Trailer]
Director: Doug Liman (IMDB)

I watched Swingers on the regular in my late teens/early 20's. It was one of my favorite films back then and along with movies like Pulp Fiction, From Dusk Till Dawn, Bottle Rocket and Fargo, it helped fuel my hunger for cinema through my formidable years. So prepare for a love fest.

Synopsis: Mike recently got dumped. Now his friends do their best to help him get over his ex and get back into the game.

This film works for me on many levels. The dialog is fresh, memorable, and authentic. This movie feels like this movie, if that makes sense? I think Vince Vaughan says the word "baby" over 120 times throughout Swingers' run time, which would seem like it's annoying, but it works for his character in a strange way. I like how this movie pays homage to other films/directors... some are obvious picks like Scorsese, Reservoir Dogs/Tarantino, and the Rat Pack... and others that are more low key like the THX-1138 license plate. This is an absolute must for any fan of independent cinema and good comedies that take a different approach to the genre.



1 comment: