Monday, September 24, 2012

The Indiana Jones Anthology

Last week saw the release of the long awaited Indiana Jones box set on blu-ray. Bringing these bad larrys to blu-ray is long over due but I can say it was worth the wait... as they look and sound incredible. So let's get into this.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
(1981) [Trailer]
Director: Steven Spielberg [IMDB]

Synopsis: Indiana Jones is on the hunt for a.... like you don't know already. 

God this movie is so good. Its rewatchability is insane and it has to be one of the most entertaining films I know. I would say it's a nostalgia thing, but it isn't, it's seriously epic. I normally don't throw around that word (epic) but in this case it fits. If I had just seen this for the first time last night I would love it just as much as the 7 year old me. The set pieces, music, cinematography, and pacing are all what you would expect from an 80's Spielberg film. Oh, one last thing, the face melt scene is the best.




Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
(1984) [Trailer]
Director: Steven Spielberg [IMDB]

Everything I said about Raiders pretty much rings true here... actually I'm not really sure which one I like better. As a kid this was the first of the Indiana Jones films I remember seeing and it mesmerized me. There's some extremely memorable stuff in here... the heart being pulled from the chest, the chilled monkey brains, the mine shaft chase... I love all of it. I think I enjoy the girl from part one better, but this has Short Round... so I guess they are even.




Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
(1989) [Trailer]
Director: Steven Spielberg [IMDB]

Indiana's back and this time his father, Sean Connery, joins in on the fun. All the bells and whistles Spielberg implores in the other installments can be found here... for me it's just not as effective here. Maybe it's the addition of Sean Connery or the back story on Indiana in the beginning, but there's something a little off. I love how dark and ominous the tone of Temple of Doom was, but this film loses that and trys to emulate Raiders a little too much. Not that this is a bad film, it isn't, it's great... I just don't like it as much as the first two. There are just not as many memorable moments in this, especially compared to it's predecessors.




Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
(2008) [Trailer]
Director: Steven Spielberg [IMDB]

I know a lot of people hated this film and many say it's the worst of the series. While I would agree it's the worst of the lot, it's by no means a bad film. I'd say the worst part of it is Harrison Ford. His acting is bad, it's painful to watch at times. I actually didn't mind Shia LaBeouf as the son, I know he got shit on but he's pretty serviceable. The other thing people harped on was the inclusion of Aliens. I actually enjoy that angle and thought it brought something interesting to the table. They are no more absurd than an evil priest ripping a guy's heart out or a man surviving a plane crash with a life raft. These films are meant to be over the top and unbelievable.



No comments:

Post a Comment