Thursday, June 13, 2013

Oz the Great and Powerful


Oz the Great and Powerful
(2013) [Trailer]
Director: Sam Raimi [IMDB]

I really enjoy Sam Raimi's movies... Spider Man 2, Evil Dead, Drag Me to Hell... all good stuff. I was very interested to check out his new film Oz back in March, but time got away from me and I missed it. Disney just delivered the blu-ray yesterday, so here we are...

Synopsis: James Franco plays a washed up magician who finds himself mysteriously transported to an enchanting land where he must help kill a wicked witch.

Oz is a prequel to the Wizard of Oz with an updated feel, but it basically runs along the same lines as it's predecessor. It looks fantastic, in terms of visual effects, but part of me (most of me) wanted less computer shit and more physical stuff... especially with Sam Raimi behind the helm. The score by Danny Elfman sounds just as you would expect and seemed like a fitting choice. I also enjoyed how they started the film in the 1.3 aspect ratio and then went wide as soon as Franco arrives in Oz, that was a nice touch.

I'd heard a lot of negatives about Mila Kunis in Oz before watching it, but honestly I thought Michelle Williams was worse. Maybe it was because she was in front of a green screen for the majority of the film, but something seemed really stale about her performance. James Franco, was James Franco... you're either a fan or you're not, but he definitely comes across as he always does.

I enjoyed this film mostly and found it entertaining. Oz is not great and powerful, but it gets the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment